You Wrestle Inside Me

Elitecam: 2014: Part Eighteen
(August 3, 2014)

"Mother. Father. Always you wrestle inside me. Always you will."

A quote from The Tree of Life, directed by Terrence Malick. The film's main protagonist is a young boy struggling between the two forces of his life: his mother (Jessica Chastain) and his father (Brad Pitt). Both represent different human life styles that seemingly conflict with each other. Chastain represents the way of grace. She sees life through the gifts of God and strives to live beyond mere human needs. In her eyes, humans need to reach for something greater than themselves. Pitt represents the way of nature. His life has been filled with frustrating roadblocks that have prevented him from accomplishing his dreams and he wants more for his children. The way of nature is to get ahead in the world, to be tough, to look out for yourself so that you don't get left behind. The young boy feels conflicted in his heart because he despises his gruff father, and yet, he knows they are so much alike.

You may notice that throughout my trip to Long Island, this film becomes a recurrence in my work. I can't help but say that I was in a "tree of life" mood when I went on this vacation and certainly when I named these posts. This won't be the last time I make an in-depth analysis on this particular work.




Comments