Informal Gluttony

SFcam: 2012; Part Twenty Three
(May 10, 2012)

I don't think I have the right to say that my experience at the Empire State Building was fully engrossing. I cannot even begin to describe the duration of which our class waited in line. Twenty minutes, forty minutes, an hour? An hour and a half?! I do, however, feel that the view merited the wait, even if the balance between getting to the top and enjoying the skyline were very uneven.










Nothing beats the view like discovering that you're the only member of your entire school (perhaps state) at the top of the Empire State Building and the only thing stopping you from being lost forever in the alien world of New York City is a thousand foot drop.

I had a bit of a panic attack when I realized this. No doubt everyone was at the bottom waiting for me. There wasn't any reception either so I was virtually trapped. I quickly gathered my things and sat in line, taking any chance I could to cut to the front.

Naturally I was scorned for being irresponsible and not following the group, but it didn't seem like anyone was really concerned that I had gone missing. Nonetheless, anytime I go back up there I can't help but remember how I felt.

Comments

Post a Comment