Faith Increased

SFcam: 2012: Part Twenty Six
(May 12, 2012)

It wasn't until the final few days that we began to notice the fatigue in the teacher's eyes. In our own weariness, we had forgotten who put the most work into making this happen. I think it was at that point that I first felt the gratitude and connection to what they had done for me all these years.

With that in mind, it made sense that our final walk would be in Central Park. Just a walk in the park (no pun intended).






We took a brief detour into the Metropolitan Museum of Art and examined a few of the various displays. I spent the majority of my time in the Byzantine and Antiochan Sections, mostly because of my religious background. I also took a peek at the different Roman Catholic art pieces. This final photograph here is a small, bronze statue of St. Christopher holding Jesus Christ, who is depicted as a child.

And so we returned home with the battered t-shirts and the smelly laundry. We all had lost a few personal items, as well as a few dollars. We all lacked sleep. We all lacked decent down time. But I don't think any of us would have opted out, at least in retrospective. Certainly during the trip. I think I would have left at least six or seven different times during a single day alone.

But we all knew that those moments we were experiencing would last for the rest of our lives. I don't think that, during the entire trip, I ever suspected that I would be living there in just a few months time. I always told myself that I needed to take everything in and cherish it before it was gone forever.

It's always a strange feeling to walk by a particular bench in Central Park or table at Grand Central Station and know that I sat there just a few months ago with my friends thinking that I would never sit here again. It's a very weird, foreign feeling. Like I'm not supposed to have returned. Like those small, insignificant places were places I was only meant to have in my memories. It's almost as if I'm digging back into them everyday. A reminder of what I once was.

Comments