Different Names For The Same Place

Newcam: 2010: Part Five
(June 27, 2010)

For a city that was only an hour's distance from us, my family didn't visit San Francisco very often. With Santa Cruz also only an hour away, the Golden Gate city seemed a bit second-rate in comparison to the beautiful beaches of the west coast. From my perspective, visiting San Francisco was a major advantage for a photographer such as myself who had taken dozens of photographs of various beaches, but had never quite captured the beauty of the bay.




An important duty of a godmother is to visit their godson from time to time. Although I was not aware that my mother had a godson living in San Francisco until about a few hours before the trip, it came as no surprise to me, especially after I had already known that my parents were fond of becoming godparents. We attended church with the "god family" and had a discussion-heavy lunch afterwards. At this point in life I was very much aware that these things which spawned from "light chatting" would eventually become tedious, hour-long conversations that would leave Andrew and I picking at the grass impatiently, waiting for my parents to realize they had children with five minute attention spans. But as fate would have it, I decided to sit and chat with the god family.

After about twenty minutes of talking, the godson's father, John, revealed to us his immense interest in photography. In my eagerness, I related to him my mutual interest in the subject and my parents proudly attested that I had a growing skill. To my convenience, he told me that he had acquired a high-quality, professional camera years ago, but he eventually stopped using it for a newer and more sleek model. He offered to give me his older camera free-of-charge, in hopes that I might further pursue my photography career. His gift not only included the jackpot prize, but various lens filters, extra memory cards, a camera bag, and even a lens cleaning kit.

It was then that I realized that these would be the closing days of Newcam, the camera that I had acquired, destroyed, and repaired for three years. I'm known for being sentimental with animals, toys, even old shoes, but a camera was like a child that I fed and watched grow older over the years.




I refused to throw out, sell, give away, or even avoid using Newcam. There would come a time when I would take fewer and fewer pictures with it until I quietly realized that its retiring days had come.

Comments