Breakfast At Tiffany's

SFcam: 2012: Part Twenty Two
(May 10, 2012)

I'm as interested in jewelery as the next guy, but Tiffany and Co. occupied a very small portion of my brain during the trip. It was pleasant to know that you and Audrey Hepburn had something in common when you would stare into those windows and marvel at the diamonds. I did indeed go inside and look around, if just for a moment, at the various necklaces and bracelets. One in particular had the girls in my group squealing like...well...school girls. I don't remember its name, but I suppose it had some fantastic story. Maybe it traveled around the world in 300 days or something like that.





As far as scheduling goes, there wasn't much method to the madness. We walked for miles only to observe random tidbits that would have been just as engrossing as reading about in an article. I made the mistake of picking a tighter pair of shoes, surrendering comfort for style. I might as well gone barefoot with the amount of trekking I had to endure in those demon clamps that someone had thought fit to call sneakers.

Grand Central Terminal ended up being a bit anticlimactic, but to be honest, I'm not sure if that was my initial reaction or a modern editorial after traversing it today more times than I can count. What made me more excited than the heart of New York's Metro-System was a Lego sculpture of the Batman. Nothing else to say there. You can't get much better than that.







As massive as the monument itself was the 9/11 Memorial's security inspection. Like almost any other major location in New York, we had to endure one metal detector after another for almost an hour, only to spend about twenty minutes visiting the spectacle itself.

To its credit, the monument was very touching. Nothing screams imagery like two empty abysses with the names of victims lining the outer rims. Each name was hollowed out to allow friends and family to place flowers, flags, or whatever seemed appropriate inside. Towering above was the Freedom Tower, its glass reflecting the sky to give it the illusion of being invisible.

Comments