The Art of the Brick

Elitecam: 2013: Part Five
(August 23, 2013)

This post is one of the few times that I'm not bothering to photograph in fancy angles or pretty positions. The Art of the Brick was an exhibit in New York City featuring the artwork of Nathan Sawaya, quite possibly the world's most talented Lego artist. Although that isn't saying much seeing as he's also one of the world's ONLY Lego artists, but that's besides the point. I began following him around the time I started investing myself in the Lego community. Over the years, my obsession has simmered down a tad, but I was very eager to visit this exhibition.

The photographs posted below are for the sake of showing you what Sawaya created and not so much showcasing my skills. Of course, I avoided trying to display any eyesores, but you'll have to be the judge of that. 



 Okay. So maybe we didn't exactly stop at the exhibit first thing. Even hardened New Yorkers like ourselves get sidetracked by souvenir shops. Those jumbo Reese's packs look pretty darn good though.

The first portion of his collection was a mixture of "paintings" using Lego tiles and few hybrid "sculpture-murals."










The second portion of the exhibit was devoted to some of his human sculptures. He also had a few tile paintings of his wife, which you might be able to spot in this collection. Among the entire set, his most iconic work is the yellow man ripping open his stomach. It's quite a gruesome conept when I describe it, but the addition of Lego bricks makes the violence a little more charming and a little less brutal.















Once we reached the end, we were given a Lego brick to sign and put into a jumble of other bricks. It was a very pleasant activity and I tried to make sure mine was at the top. As far as rating the exhibit, I always have a tendency of skimming through too fast. I wish I had taken my time a little more because there were a few really impressive pieces. I recommend that any Lego fan visits and take their time because it'll go by fast.





Comments